Saturday, May 15, 2010

From the Inbox: The Neglected Inbox

Just because we haven't been blogging, doesn't mean we haven't been eating. Trust me, my pants are no looser now than they were at the time we last saw you here.

No, really, we know you want to read about us and all, and modesty IS our only flaw...but we've been busy. Jobs, wine tastings, family, dinner parties, home improvement, other blogs. Yeah, the jobs, family, and home improvement didn't really happen or get in the way. But it's a nice thought.

It's Spring, and that means there are so many bright, fresh, new food things that are occupying our thoughts and time. Let me tell you about some of them through lurvely e-mails.

From Pocahantski we read in Boston.com about The Burnt Food Museum. And we are intrigued...their motto is "Celebrating nearly two decades of culinary failure."

Road Trip!

On the drive, and when no one is looking, Fetz (Dear Lord Fetz) and I will tip back just a couple of Pabstmosas. Yeah, you read that right.

Rowley writes: "Deb assures me that Pabstmosas are good any time of day. I’m glad to have ordered one. I’m glad for the subsequent conversations it sparked in which I learned about Arkansas martinis and Monkeywrench martinis (beers with an olive or a maraschino cherry, respectively). I was even glad to see the same bartender serving more later that night. But mostly? Mostly, I’m glad that’s the last Pabstmosa I’ll ever order."

I think this story is especially timely, having just convinced one of my two watering holes in town to carry the P. The B. And the R. On tap, no less.

But no, Pabstmosa, you are too far for even me. I wouldn't want to ruin the beer. I'm actually glad the hipsters have decided to get PBR on the retro-cool list. Just means it's easier for me to find on the shelves.

Pocahantski's final e-mail (actually the first 'cause I'm that crafty on the reverse-chronological tip...thought I couldn't use words like that in a food blog? FAH. FAH I say.) is another to file away in the "Places we want to go eat and embarrass ourselves with gluttony" category.

Um. Well it's true!

Anyway. It's Amish Cheese people. You don't go light on the cheese. The Amish made it. They're nice people. It would be rude not to try...all of them.

But we can't yet, because Ms. Vertical got in on the e-mail action last week too. And it's good.

If you read the other blog (and really, why aren't you?), you'll know there were several dinner parties recently held at Chez Geek. The Ms. Adventures were there. Other friends were there. People who didn't know what city they were going to and who hadn't been mentioned to the host were there. It was righteous.

Digression.

I made a Strawberry-Rhubarb Clafoutis. First time I'd ever held a piece of raw rhubarb and cut it and cooked it. Won't be the last. And here's a good idea from Chow.com via Ms. Vertical:
Roasted Rhubarb Compote
By Kate Ramos

Both sweet and pleasingly tart, this rhubarb compote is a snap to put together. The rhubarb stays in nice big pieces as it cooks but then spreads like butter over cakey scones. We also like it spooned over thick Greek yogurt.

What to buy: Look for rhubarb that is free of blemishes. Remove any leaves, dried-out pieces, or brown spots before cooking.
Game plan: The compote will keep for 5 to 7 days refrigerated in a covered container.
This recipe was featured as part of our Mother’s Day tea party.
TIME/SERVINGS
Total Time: 50 mins
Active Time: 10 mins
Makes: 6 to 8 servings (about 2 cups)

INGREDIENTS
1 pound rhubarb
1 tablespoon orange zest (from 1 medium orange)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Rinse rhubarb under cold water, trim ends, and remove any leaves. Slice each stalk in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
2. Combine rhubarb, orange zest, orange juice, and sugar in an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish; toss together until rhubarb is well coated with sugar.
3. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the rhubarb has released a lot of juice and the mixture is bubbling, about 35 minutes.
4. Remove the foil and continue baking until the juices are slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
After this I actually have a post on some real, live restaurant eating with the gang. Details when I've typed them. Enjoy the yummy Inbox...

No comments:

Post a Comment